The NCPA Colleague Assistance Committee was officially approved by the NCPA membership in 2007.
According to the NCPA ByLaws:
The Colleague Assistance Committee is charged with developing education, peer consultation, and other resources to facilitate the optimal functioning of psychologists in North Carolina. The purposes of this committee include prevention and amelioration of professional distress and impairment and their consequences among psychologists.
The Colleague Assistance Committee shall:
- Serve to educate other psychologists through articles and presentations
- Provide initial support and information to our peers through a telephone hotline service
- Provide peer consultation to NCPA members
- Add additional services as the need arises as approved or recommended by the NCPA Board
The following are the services provided to NCPA Members by the Committee:
- Peer Consultation:
- The scope of concerns of Colleague Assistance Peer Consultants includes:
- Personal well-being issues (ranging from self-care to impairment due to substance use, all as related to providing best practice);
- Professional stressors as they relate to client/patient work;
- Management of relationships with colleagues; and
- Other work setting issues.
- When contacting the Committee for Peer Consultation, the Committee Member will ask for your name and NCPA member status, but neither this information nor the content of your consultation is communicated to NCPA or to the NC Psychology Board.
- Presentations to Academic Programs on topics related to Self-Care and Colleague Assistance.
- Articles published in the NC Psychologist
- Presentations at NCPA conferences and "stand-alone" workshops related to the prevention and amelioration of professional distress
There are 3 ways to contact the NCPA Colleague Assistance Committee:
- Call the NCPA office during regular office hours: (919) 872-1005
- Leave a message on our Peer Consultation Line: (919) 785-3969
- Send an email message to
(a Committee Member will be in contact with you within 24 hours)
NCPA Colleague Assistance Committee:
Mira Brancu, Ph.D.
Alexis Franzese, Ph.D.
Clare Gibson, M.A.
Judith Holder, Ph.D.
Glen Martin, Ph.D., Chair
Steven Mullinix, Ph.D.
Missy Simpson, Ph.D.
Kristin Webb, Psy.D.